Walsall advertiser dating
It was rebuilt as the Grand Theatre in 1890 to the design of Daniel Arkell of Birmingham and became a variety theatre again in 1899. It was converted into a cinema in 1931 and was burnt down in 1939. 31) Her Majesty's Theatre at Townend Bank was opened in 1900 and became a variety theatre in 1905. In 18, however, they took place in October, and from 1873 in August. They coincided with the wakes, and plays and shows were put on at a temporary theatre on the course. 25) In 1766 William Siddons, later husband of Sarah Siddons, gave a performance of at a malt-house in Lime Pit Bank. 26) The assembly-room at the Dragon was used as a temporary theatre from at least 1787 to 1803. A theatre in the Square was built by subscription in 1803; Watson apparently owned the business by 1813. 27) Performances were still being held there in 1841, but in 1845 the proprietors were evicted for arrears of rent. at Townend Bank, which was converted to a triple cinema in that year. 36) The guildhall was probably the chief centre for public assemblies until the 18th century. Opened in 1867, it was used for public meetings, lectures, and concerts, and in 1931 it became a cinema. It was used for music, plays, lectures, and other entertainment, and as a drill hall. In the 1640s the corporation paid for music at the fairs, and in the 1750s concerts were held in the guildhall. 44) The Walsall Harmonic Society was established apparently . They amalgamated in 1880 as the Walsall Philharmonic Union. 46) Several other musical societies were founded from the 1880s onwards but most were short-lived. 47) The first public library in Walsall was a subscription library established in 1800 by Thomas Bowen, the Unitarian minister, in his house in Rushall Street. The first was the , which appeared from July 1830 to June 1831.
Between 18 the building was altered for use as a permanent theatre; it was known from . By 1879 it was a variety theatre called the Alexandra Theatre; it was later known as the Gaiety Theatre. 32) Although the Imperial Theatre became a cinema in 1908, the first purpose-built cinema in the borough was the Electric Picture Palace in the Square, opened in 1910. 33) Two cinemas were soon afterwards opened in Bloxwich, the Central Picture Palace in the former Wesleyan chapel in Park Road by 1912, and the Electric Picture Theatre (or Palace) in High Street by 1913. 34) There were 6 cinemas in the county borough by 1925 and 9 by 1939; by 1962 only 5 remained. It soon became dilapidated, and in 1847 was sold to C. Designed by Nichols & Morgan, it is of brick in a Renaissance style. 53) In 1872 it was converted into a news-room, and a library and reading room was built over it. 54) The building was extended in 1887, and in 1890 the upper room was converted to contain an art gallery, museum, and reference library. 55) It was replaced in 1906 by the present library in Lichfield Street, built with funds given by Andrew Carnegie. 56) The new building is of brick with stone dressings and was designed in a Baroque style by J.
However, can now reveal, having looked at the plans which have been on display in the library foyer throughout the week, that current proposals not only include new street furniture as outlined above as well as four different suggested designs for changes to paving and road layout and parking at the rear of the toilets and in front of the Bulls Head pub, but also options for the complete demolition of the present public toilets and replacement with a new facility.